Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Twitlighters Must Stop


Let me start off by saying that, for the most part, I have come to peace with the Twilight books and movies.  They are not my personal cup of tea, but they have their place in the world of entertainment, and that's OK.  I'm not real thrilled about the fact that they essentially teach young girls that having a 100 year-old guy crawl through their window, watch them sleep, and dictate who they can and cannot be friends with is not creepy and abusive, but romantic.  

But aside from that detail, I'm at peace with the books.  As Melissa Anelli of PotterCast very aptly put it, "Harry Potter is my soul-mate, and Twilight is a hot weekend."

The Twitlighters, however, are another matter altogether.  And let me be clear: By Twitlighters I am referring to a very specific branch of the Twilight fandom.  Some Twilight fans are very nice people who actually do have a head on their shoulders.

The Twitlighters are the obnoxiously oblivious and idiotic fans who seem to think that the entire world revolves around their fandom.

I present Exhibit A: In This letter an angry Taylor Lautner fan writes to Universal attacking them for "ripping off" Twilight by making a werewolf movie - the remake of The Wolfman.  In this letter, the Twitlighter chastises Universal for ruining Stephanie Meyer's vision by making their werewolf an ugly, hideous monster, where as Taylor Lautner - the "true" werewolf - is beautiful, in both his wolf and human forms.

To this Twitlighter, I say: Sweetie, I think that Universal might have a slight head-start over Stephanie Meyer on the werewolf genre.  Also, technically speaking, Jacob Black is not a werewolf, but a shape-shifter, seeing as he can change at will and is not compelled by the full moon.  Of course, I guess I shouldn't expect you to do your homework on that aspect, seeing as Ms. Meyer didn't do her homework, either...

I now present Exhibit B: In this post this person attacks JK Rowling for ripping off Twilight, since Jacob Black and Sirius Black are both "werewolves" and they have the same last name.


Sweetie, again, I think that JK Rowling might have a slight head-start on Stephanie Meyer in this instance.  Get a calendar, this might help you understand the concept of time.  Also, see my previous comments about shape-shifters versus werewolves, and please note that, unlike Stephanie Meyer, JK Rowling did do her homework and understands the difference between a shape-shifter and a werewolf, as Sirius Black is NOT described as a werewolf, but an Animagus.

And, of course, there is that very special breed of Twitlighters that are absolutely convinced that Amy Lee wrote My Immortal for the Twilight series.  Again, buy a !@#$ing calendar already.  My Immortal: 2000. Twilight: 2005.  Do you see the problem here? Never mind the fact that the only book in the series that My Immortal even comes close to being applicable to is the second book (yes, this is my confession that I have read all the books, otherwise I would not feel comfortable making comments on them).

I'm just waiting for one of these idiots to accuse The Bible of ripping of Stephanie Meyer.  It will happen.  Just you wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment